How To: Determine What Size Clock Hands to Use

Quartz clock movements vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, making it tricky to find the right clock hands for your clock project. Simply follow these two steps when selecting clock hands to ensure you purchase the right size and style of your clock project!

Quick Tip: Free Clock Hands | Klockit

Step #1: Measure the Outside Diameter of the Clock Dial

Grab a tape measure or ruler, and measure from the outside diameter of the time ring on your clock dial (also called a clock face) as shown below. If there is no time ring, measure from the outside edge of the numerals or markers.

Measuring for clock hand length

Step #2: Divide the Outside Diameter by Two

Take the outside diameter measurement and divide it by two. That measurement will give you the recommended length of the minute hand. We may not carry the exact size that’s recommended from this simple formula, so it’s perfectly OK to be within 1/4” of the recommended size.

Quick tip on measuring clock hands | Klockit

Questions?

If you have any questions on this information or need assistance determining what size clock hands will be best for your project, please leave a comment below and we’ll respond within 24 hours.

Advertisements

48 thoughts on “How To: Determine What Size Clock Hands to Use

1. mark royall June 27, 2016 / 7:23 am

You can create a unique art clock by creating outside the box by making the hands bent, oversize or undersize. .Mark Royall

2. Håkon November 27, 2016 / 12:01 pm

Would a clock eho is 45mm fit my hand, which is about 5.5 cm?

• Klockit November 28, 2016 / 9:04 am

Hi Håkon, we need more information about your clock before answering your question. Can you please call us at 1-800-556-2548 or email us at klockit@klockit.com with the type of movement you have (quartz or mechanical) and the shape hole your current clock hands have (rectangle or circle)? Thank you, we look forward to helping you!

3. Brenda January 25, 2017 / 7:01 pm

I am going to make a clock out repurposed wood I bought a quarts movement and some larger hands they don’t have a measurement on them so I don’t know how big to make the clock help please

• Klockit January 26, 2017 / 8:34 am

Hi Brenda, we have a few tips and tricks that will help with your clock project. We’ll be in touch soon via email. Thank you!

4. Carolyn Martinez March 12, 2017 / 3:11 pm

I have a handmade clock, glass face and handblown glass chunks instead of numbers; they are spaced a bit less than 3.5 inches from center. What size hands should I buy? Can hands be trimmed slightly or is smaller better?

• Klockit March 13, 2017 / 2:00 pm

Hi Carolyn, thank you for reaching out to us! Our clock hands can be trimmed up to 1/4″, but the hand size is more of a recommendation than anything – everyone has their own preference. We will be in touch soon with more details via email.

5. Jill Seifert June 19, 2017 / 1:04 pm

I am making clocks 20″ round, need clock kits in bulk.

• Klockit June 19, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Hi Jill, we recommend 10″ clock hands with a 20″ diameter clock. We’ll be in touch soon via email with more details about pricing on bulk clock kits.

6. Natalie Limbert July 25, 2017 / 9:23 pm

What size of clock hands and motor or kit with everything in it what I need for a 36 inch wooden wall clock?

7. Audra Lewis September 4, 2017 / 2:03 pm

I am trying to build a large clock out of pallet wood. The base is made and now I need to know what I need to make it into a working clock.

• Klockit November 6, 2017 / 8:32 am

Hi Audra, please contact us at 1-800-556-2548 for assistance with the next steps in your project.

8. Cindy September 17, 2017 / 8:55 am

We are building a 60″ diameter wall clock for my kitchen. I’m having a lot of difficulty finding any hands longer than 18″. I would love to find an entire clock kit with everything included. Do you have any idea where I could find supplies to fit. Thank You

• Klockit November 6, 2017 / 8:31 am

Hi Cindy, the longest pair of clock hands we offer are 17.5″ long. If you’re looking for longer clock hands, we recommend doing an internet search.

• Laura June 4, 2018 / 1:48 pm

Hi Cindy
      I am in a similar situation and can’t find a long enough minute hand. Did you have any luck?

• Klockit June 4, 2018 / 3:05 pm

Hi Laura, are you looking for clock hands that are longer than 17.5″?

9. lynda m rafferty October 6, 2017 / 7:34 am

What size clock hands should I use for a 24 in clock ?

• Klockit November 6, 2017 / 8:32 am

Hi Lynda, we recommend using 12″ clock hands for a 24″ clock

10. Amanda Thomas October 24, 2017 / 10:56 am

We are having a hard time determining what movement and hands to use on a large clock. The clock is 21 inches wide. The thickness of the wood used is 1/2 inch. Don you have any suggestions?

• Klockit October 25, 2017 / 8:29 am

Hi Amanda, you’ll need a high torque clock movement to power the longer hands on a 21″ clock. We recommend using our 10115-bundle clock movement (including hand mounting hardware): https://www.klockit.com/high-torque-quartz-clock-movement.html. For the clock hands, we typically recommend taking the diameter of the clock and diving it by 2 to get the clock hand length that would look best on that size clock. So in your case, 10.5″ clock hands – we don’t offer a pair that is specifically 10.5″, so the next best option is 10″: https://www.klockit.com/10-black-spade-hour-and-minute-hand-set.html.

If you have any more questions, please don’t hesitate to comment back on this thread or call us at 1-800-556-2548.

11. Dianna November 4, 2017 / 11:12 pm

I have a 1″ thick piece of pine that is 17.75″ round. Is there a kit that would work best for this? I’m trying to find the right size hands as well.

• Dianna November 6, 2017 / 12:07 pm

I can cut out the extra. I was looking at 10161 bundle and was wondering what the note of not using a second hand meant?

• Klockit November 6, 2017 / 2:21 pm

Ok great! The note on the second hand means that this clock movement doesn’t take a second hand, so you’d just be using the hour and minute hands.

12. Sonja Graham November 7, 2017 / 9:45 pm

I have a round clock face that is 10″ in diameter. How long should the minute hand be on a clock face that size? Thanks!

• Klockit November 8, 2017 / 1:39 pm

Hi Sonja, we recommend using a 5″ minute hand for your clock. If you are unable to find one that’s exactly 5″ long, a little over or under will look just fine too!

• soned1990 November 8, 2017 / 1:41 pm

Ok. Great! Thank you so much for replying!

13. Ria January 15, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Hi, l have an old outside clock that doesn’t work.Did your formula to measure clock hands.The large hand measures 25cm so this equals 250mm are they available also need mechanism?

14. ADRIAN toups January 25, 2018 / 4:44 pm

Hi I have a 31.5″ clock we made and I need the clock movement and the hands. Can you tell me what I need to order. I have SKU: 10115-bundle in my cart, but i am unclear if this is a bundle that included the hands.

• Klockit January 25, 2018 / 5:59 pm

Hi Adrian, the 10115-bundle includes the clock movement and the hand mounting hardware. The clock hands are sold separately, and can be selected here: https://www.klockit.com/all-departments/clock-hands.html?hands_type=249. We usually say to take the diameter of your clock 31.5 and divide by 2 to get the recommended clock hand length. The clock hand lengths listed on website are a measurement of the minute hand. In your case, 15.75″ hands would be best. Since we don’t offer that exact length, your next best bet would be our 14 3/8″ pair: https://www.klockit.com/14-3-8-black-hour-and-minute-hand-set.html

The 10115 clock movement can go through a maxiumum of 11/16″ thickness. If your material is thicker than that, please call us at 1-262-729-4855 or email klockit@klockit.com and we’ll help you with that.

15. Amber January 27, 2018 / 7:56 am

Hi! I am Making a clock out of a wire spool top. It measures 23.5 inches so I am curious what size hands I will need? Thanks in andvance!

16. Rana Aijaz January 31, 2018 / 8:49 am

Hi,
    Plz can u tell me if the length of my minute clock is 15 inch from top tp.bottom
    Then what shud be the length of hour minute
    Thanks

• Klockit January 31, 2018 / 8:54 am

Hi Rana, all of the clock hands listed on our website are sold in pairs, and the measurement listed is a measurement of the minute hand –
      from the center mounting hole to the tip of the hand. The hour hand is proportionate to the minute hand. We hope this helps! If you have additional questions, we recommend calling us at 1-262-729-4855.

17. Joshua Patrick Bliven February 17, 2018 / 10:48 pm

I build very large wall clocks and i have found it difficult to locate proper size click hands. Many of my projects require a minimum length of 24″ for the minute hand. Perhaps I’m new to all this and I’m just looking in all the wrong places. Any recommendations and help you could give is greatly appreciated.

• Klockit February 19, 2018 / 9:09 am

Hi Joshua, the longest minute hand we currently offer is 17.5″ long. Most high torque quartz clock movements on the market today can move an 18″ minute hand at max capacity. We have not tested our high torque clock movements with any hands that are longer than that. We hope this information is helpful!

18. Iraida Lopez-King April 17, 2018 / 11:44 am

Need to fix 2 clocks, both movement parts broke but still have the hands. The outside diameter on both is almost 14″ and inside diameter is 12″. Still have the hands on each measuring 4″ and 5 1/2″. One is an indoor clock while the other is and outdoor with temperature sensor. Need assistance to get correct movement parts and probably hands as well. I bought one movement by itself but hands don’t fit. Note: hands are spade style. I can send pictures if needed.
    Appreciate the assistance ,
    Mrs. King

• Klockit April 17, 2018 / 12:54 pm

Hi Mrs. King, thank you for reaching out to us! We’re happy to help you with movement and hand replacements, and will reach out to you soon via email.

19. Hillary May 5, 2018 / 10:14 pm

Hi!
    I handmade my clock years ago from a piece of birch. It’s 48″ and the old damaged minute hand measures 22 1/2″ end to end, but if I measure it from the hole to the end it’s 17 1/2″. So…does that measure up right? Since I have 48/2=24? Would I need hands 17 1/2″?

20. Maricela T. Rooper May 13, 2018 / 1:43 am

My clock will be 41 1/2 inches diameter. It’s from a utility spool. Do I need a 20 inch clock hands?will 17 1/2 do?

Maricela

• Klockit May 14, 2018 / 8:18 am

Hi Maricela, we typically recommend taking the overall diameter of the clock and dividing that by two to get a suggested hand length. This is just a suggestion though, and there are no hard and fast rules when it comes to hand length 🙂 Another suggestion to try would be to take a tape measure and measure out 17.5″ inches from the center on your clock to see what it would look like. We hope this helps!

21. jam dejumo June 2, 2018 / 6:24 am

hi!good day! i am planning to make a wood clock for the first time. and i have a round board and its size is 20cm in dia..with a 5mm center hole, im wondering which is the ideal clock movement kits is nice if i will put also some jute twine as clock facedesign? thanks

• Klockit June 4, 2018 / 8:29 am

Hi Jam! Welcome to the wonderful world of clockmaking! We’ll need to know how thick your round board is, plus the thickness of the jute twine you plan to use in order to figure out which clock movement will be best for this clock project. We’ll be in contact with you soon via email!

22. Cindy June 4, 2018 / 10:05 pm

No I have not. I know they have to be out there. You can easily find 60” clocks, but can NOT find motor separately. It’s crazy. Let me know if you find one, please.